Nguyen Ti Cook, chairman of the Vietnam Tax Accountants Association, said at a tourism conference on Friday that the average per capita spending of foreigners visiting Vietnam is still low and the government should take appropriate steps to increase their spending. rice field.

According to the Vietnam Tourism Report produced by the Vietnam Tourism Board, the average spending of foreign tourists in Vietnam in 2018 was $ 1,065.

According to Cuc, one of the most effective measures is to make it easier for foreign tourists to receive a VAT refund when they leave the country.

Foreign tourists and Vietnamese overseas are currently receiving VAT refunds for purchases made in Vietnam under the Circular that came into effect in 2014.

You are entitled to a refund of 85% of VAT for eligible items purchased from eligible shops while traveling in Vietnam. The remaining 15% will be counted as a service fee.

Refunds can be collected at the airport or port before tourists leave the country. They need to shop at a designated store that sells VAT refunds. After purchasing the product, the clerk will issue an invoice and a VAT refund declaration.

At airports and ports, visitors are required to submit the invoice with the VAT return to the refund customs office for confirmation and stamping before taking it to the payment counter for a refund.

Cuc said such requirements are inconvenient for foreign tourists. She added that she didn’t care about the plan because she was afraid she couldn’t arrive at the aircraft on time in some cases, which affected spending in Vietnam.

She suggested that tourists could get a VAT refund where they shop like many other countries, including Japan.

After purchasing the goods, the visitor should be able to take the invoice to the tax refund counter in the shopping center or supermarket.

After checking the purchased goods and immigration documents, tax refund counter can pay the visitor by cash or credit card. They can stamp relevant documents with customs authorities to see when tourists leave the country.

The proposal to simplify the VAT refund procedure is the latest proposed measure to increase tourism revenue. Other experts have suggested that the government consider granting visa exemptions to more countries for longer stays.

As Vietnam resumed inbound tourism nearly two years ago, the government resumed a one-sided visa exemption policy for citizens of 13 countries.

Citizens of Belarus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Norway, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom can visit Vietnam for up to 15 days without a visa, regardless of passport type or purpose of entry. .. ..

The country also has a bilateral visa exemption policy for Chile and Kyrgyzstan, co-members of ASEAN.